The Black Creek Methodist Church, organized in 1873, met first in a school building owned by Dr. Stephen Woodard. It was called The Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. A sanctuary was built in 1875 of lumber given by John and Rachel Bardin. Trustees were Ephraim McNair and David Lee. Bett Joyner some years later donated money for the steeple.
The New brick church, begun in 1948, was completed during Reverend W.E. Howard's ministry, and he preached the first sermon in January 1950. The land on which this building stands was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. P.L. Woodard in 1938. The structure cost 27,000.00.
The building was one and one-half stories. In the basement were located a kitchen, an assembly area, a bath, and three enclosed Sunday school rooms. In the rear of the basement a furnance room and cooling system were located.
The dedication service May 4, 1952, was well attended. Bishop W.W. Peele of Richmond preached the dedication sermon.
The beautiful pulpit furniture was given in memory of Mr. F.E. Howard by his family. Mrs. Howard, a valued community leader and principal of the Black Creek School, had served twenty-five years as superintendent of the Sunday school.
The communion table was given by Albert Bass and his family. A gift of land adjacent to the church by Mrs. James Blount of Wilson made possible the Sunday school, pastor-study annex. Work on this educational building was begun in 1969 under the ministry of Reverend Angus M. Cameron. The building Committee was: J. sid Tomlinson, chairman, Roy Campbell, Ruth Campbell, Faye Evans, Dr. A.J. Smith, William P. Smith and W.H. Tomlinson.
The building was consecrated on November 30, 1969, during the ministry of Reverend Julian W. Scott.